Monday, November 4, 2013

FREEDOM

September 16, 2011

This was one of the very best days of my LIFE.  Seriously!  I have had a lot of fantastic things happen to me in my life, but busting out of the hospital after 6 weeks and 1 day was the BEST.FEELING.EVER.  Yes, I said 6 weeks and 1 day.  I don't dis credit the 1 day.....I don't round it down to 6 weeks, because that 1 day was the best day out of all of them.......and if you have ever been in the hospital....EVERY day should count, right???

I remember when they came in.  They told me if he gained weight we could go home and wait for the AIE test to come back from there.  You could about imagine my anxiety when the wheeled scale #1 into our room.  I took Keean's clothes off and acted like a small child playing hide and seek.  I stood there with my eyes covered.......peeking through my fingers......anxiously waiting to see what the numbers told us.  And, when the scale finally beeped I thought I was going to scream with excitement!!! We were going home!!!!!!! They said it might be awhile because they had to draw up discharge papers, get his special formula ready, have the dietician come show me how to make his formula and get all the "orders" from all our doctors, but I didn't care.  They said the words...."You're going home" and it really didn't matter to me if it was right then and there or if it was at supper time.....I was going home!!!!! And I got to bring my baby with me.  Finally, all of us under the same roof.  Finally, I could be with my baby, my husband and my Mason at the same time.  Please, do me a favor and NEVER take that for granite. 

Trevor was back home working so I got everything all packed up and loaded and waited for the discharge summary to come. 

When we were in the hospital, Trevor and I dreamt of the day when we could both sit on our porch swings, grill out and enjoy the beautiful weather outside with our ENTIRE family under our roof.  And I was moments away from doing just that :)

I remember the feeling of getting to leave with Keean with me.  It was the BEST feeling EVER.  I got to leave the hospital with no anxiety about leaving him behind....because he was right there with me.  We said our good-bye's to our favorite nurses and doctors....we told them "thank you" for all they had done for us and we packed up and left.

The drive home took FOREVER.  But, again, I didn't care....because I knew in 2 hours I would be under my roof, with my baby and I was extremely thankful.

When we got home, we were greeted with a HUGE "Welcome Home" sign and perfect weather.  I threw everything in the house, I put Keean in his stroller and Trevor and I sat in our chairs.  The one's we had dreamt about the whole time we sat in the hospital.  We kicked up our feet and sat in silence.  There was nothing to say.  We were both smiling and thankful and happy and relaxed. 

There's no place like home!

Our doggy was excited to have us home too :)

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing description of what must have been a moment that resists being captured in words! It's a simple thing, a family gathered under one roof, but you're right: it shouldn't ever be anything we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I could feel your excitement about going home! Luckily I have never been in the position that you and your family have. But there are some business trips that I have been on that seemed to have lasted forever and it was WONDERFUL to be home again.

    ReplyDelete