Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The PICC line placement

Keean's PICC line (the line that is placed for TPN I mentioned in my last post) was scheduled to be placed at 9:30am on August 20. 

Here we go again!  Super anxious mama and another night of nothing by mouth for Keean.  I hated doing that because he was in there for not gaining weight and at this point weighed less than he did when we were first admitted 3 weeks before.  BUT, ya do what ya gotta do and gave him IV fluid only starting at 1am and cut off all his feedings.  They are supposed to go 6 hours with nothing by mouth or any food before a procedure. 

This was tough enough to do, but when they had not come to get him for his 9am procedure by 1pm this anxious and over tired mama was about to lose it.  The nurses on our floor were completely confused and finally heard that there was an emergency surgery so ours was pushed back.  It was going to happen at 1.  At 2pm, the doctor came to see how things were going, assuming he had his line placed and I was on the verge of screaming.  I had called my husband who called the hospital and they told him surgery was re-scheduled for 10am the next morning.  NO one had communicated this with us or our nurses so we were just sitting there with my starving failure to thrive baby, waiting to get wheeled to surgery.  I kindly (ok not really but I was as kind as I could be at this point) told the doctor that Keean had not had anything by mouth for over 12 hours and they needed to figure out something.  I was not going to do it again 2 nights in a row.  So, they needed to find someone, somewhere that knew what they were doing and they needed to do it NOW.

The doctor was very helpful.  He called up to the NICU and PICU to see if any of the doctors could do it there.  There was a procedure room open and a doctor in the PICU was able to do the line placement.  FINALLY!!!

I went through the same motions of wheeling him down, sick to my stomach, kissed him and told him I loved him and went to my place in the waiting room.  This procedure took awhile longer than the endoscopy, so it was tough. I did what I had to do to keep my mind busy, but there was always nervous icky feeling present.  My mind could never fully focus on what I was doing or who I was talking to until they told me everything was fine. It's funny how those feelings don't get better after numerous procedures.  BUT, again the doctors were awesome and we got through :)  The line was placed with no major problems and we brought our boy back to his room in ICC to wait and see if this would help jump start some weight gain!

1 comment:

  1. I can not believe you were not informed about the changes in the surgery schdule. But it is extremely hard to believe the nurses had no idea. I would have been so frustrated by that point in time that I am not sure I would have been able to control myself like you did. I am glad to hear you were able to find another doctor and room to have the procedure done so Keenan did not have to go through another night without eating.

    ReplyDelete