Monday, October 7, 2013

The first endoscopy

August 16, 2011, Keean's fevers went down and we were given permission to do his first endoscopy.  This was Keean's first experience getting put under.  He had to fast for 13 hours before they took him down for the procedure.  I'm not going to lie.....it was super hard for me to not feed him for 13 hours when the reason we were there was because he wasn't gaining weight.

Anyway....Keean was a rock star.  You could not tell that he hadn't eaten for 13 hours.  Maybe it's a perk of having a child who doesn't like food. When they have to have nothing by mouth, it's almost a treat! 

I would love to tell you all that I was also a rock star.  That I was this strong, put together mommy who just sent her baby away with no problems. You know, the mom who puts their baby on the operating table, smiles and waves and then goes out to eat with her friends like they just dropped their kid off at daycare.  OH, how I wish that was me.  It's safe to say I was the complete opposite.   I was a nervous piece of work.  I think they should have put me under first and then Keean.  Or they could possibly just admit me to the Mental Health Unit and let me sit until they could tell me everything was ok.  I don't know what it is with watching Keean get sent back to get put under, but it never got easier.  I can't imagine what parents go through when they send their babies off to have heart surgery or anything other kind of invasive surgery.  My heart goes out to them and I have more of an appreciation for those mamas now than I ever had before Keean.  I am completely aware that Keean was just having a tube with a camera go down his throat and into his stomach and intestine to see what was up, but I was a mess.  I think you could say I felt as if it was a risky invasive surgery, when I knew very well that it wasn't a big deal.  And I wish I could say it doesn't bother me.  It probably shouldn't have.  He didn't seem to care.  He just looked at me with his big eyes and smiled as they wheeled him away.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't relax until they came out to say he was out of surgery and was waking up.

The procedure didn't take very long.  I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I don't think it took more than 45 minutes.  Again, I don't know how people do it for those long procedures.  I do believe I would need medication to get me through it.  Something that would knock me out.  BUT anyway, our GI doctor came out and showed us pictures.  She told us everything looked normal from the naked eye and it would be a few days before we had any news.  Some of the tests took days, some took a few weeks.  In the meantime, we were asked to do what we were learning to do best.  Wait.  Wait for test results, wait to see if the new formula would help him gain weight and wait to go home!

1 comment:

  1. Watching someone you love go into any type of surgery no matter how small or large is terrifying. Anytime something is done to anyone, there is always the chance they may not make it, so I can understand why you were a wreck even though the procedure was suppose to be no big deal. I am a basket case from the time the person leaves my sight until the next time I can see him/her when there is something being done.

    ReplyDelete