Thursday, September 19, 2013

The first feeding tube

I am using my caring bridge site as a reference to write some of these posts.  I don't want to forget any crucial information that may help someone else out and I want to make sure I include as much of his story as I can.

August 9 they told us that up to this point Keean's only diagnosis (which isn't really a diagnosis) was failure to thrive due to severe acid reflux and protein intolerance.  I was to the point where I really didn't care what you call it, I just wanted him fixed.  I wanted him to thrive, I wanted him to feel good and not be in pain, I wanted him to quit puking and I wanted to get out of that hospital. 

I remember when they first talked to us about a feeding tube.  They explained that it was a tube that would go up his nose, down his throat, past his stomach and into his intestines.  They wanted to surpass his stomach to avoid any reflux.  They told us it would be temporary.  Probably 3-4 weeks just to get him caught up and then they could take it out.  We didn't have to worry if he pulled it out because it wouldn't hurt him and it was easy to put back in. 

I remember clearly how excited I was for this.  Keean was going to have an upper GI done and then have a feeding tube put in. This tube was going to help his severe reflux and was going to help him gain weight and we were going to get outta that place!!!!  WOHOO!!  The procedure was at 3 and I think I was pretty much packed and ready to go home because I thought it was the answer to all the problems.  He just needed a little boost!!!



The above picture is Keean's daddy taking Keean down to his Upper GI and feeding tube placement.  Love that sweet face!!!  Below is after the procedure.  The tube is actually taped to his face so he couldn't pull it off.  It was hard to see all that tape on him covering up his cuteness, but if it helped I was ok with it!!!  He was exhausted!!!! 


Trevor and I got to be in the room with Keean through the whole procedure.  Everything on the Upper GI looked normal the tube went in perfectly!!!!  The whole procedure took about 20 minutes. The doctors started him out slowly getting feeds, but increased him to an ounce an hour.  We were told to bottle feed him during the day and tube feed him at night.

We were also told to give him a bottle when he acted hungry.  The first night he did not keep his bottles down.  The Dr. came to talk to us the next morning and said being he was still throwing up she would like us to stay at the hospital.  I was ok with that because when I went home I wanted to stay there, I did NOT want to turn around and go right back.  So, we planned to stay another night to keep an eye on his feedings, to make the doctor happy and to just be sure!

Looking back at my 2nd caringbridge entry I had to laugh.  Not because it was funny, but because of what I said.  It was August 9, 2011 and my post said, "If all goes well we should be out of here by tomorrow" referring to Children's Hospital.  BAHAHAHAHA!  If only I knew then what I know now!  I will just clarify....we did not get out of the hospital August 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment