Friday, August 30, 2013

The story continues....

Now, like I said before....I had a feeling something wasn't right.  Let me explain that a little more in depth. 

When my first born joined this world he was a whopping 9lbs 13oz and cracked my pelvic bone in half when he came out!  Yes, it hurt.  It was horrible.  I was 18 years old.  I had no idea what to expect, I was horrified to become a mom anyway and I left the hospital barely able to walk or get in and out of a car. 

So, although it was 11 years later, I remembered everything and I was ready.  I considered having a C-section, I went in for closer monitoring of growth and went to an OB-GYN before my due date for an ultra sound specifically to see how big they thought this baby would be.  I mean, seriously, they tell you that your babies are typically around the same size.  And I wasn't going to be too careful this time around.  I got all the good advice from the professionals.  I should have an epidural so I'm more relaxed and I should really pay attention to what my body is telling me.  Yeah, OK.  Easy to say to someone who ISN'T in labor, but whatever.

I guess I'm trying to paint a little picture of how scared I was to deliver another baby.  In my mind, I was going to deliver a baby that was most likely the size of a 6 month old and I wouldn't be able to move for a few weeks after delivery.  I knew I hadn't gotten too big with this pregnancy, but in reality I never got that big with my 10 pounder either.  So, I was a bit caught off guard when my Keean was born.  When he came out, they did the typical stuff.  I got to hold him for a little bit before they took him to do all his vitals, weight, height and head measurements and so on.  So, when they put him on the scale and announced......6lbs 12oz I can honestly say my stomach turned a little.  Now for most people this would be a nice size baby.  I understand that completely.  One of my best friends delivered 5 months before and her baby was 6lbs 14oz and was completely healthy.  But, I think my mommy instinct kicked in when they told me that weight.  Something was up, I just didn't know what.  I didn't know at that time if I was being stupid.  If I was being over cautious, paranoid, nervous, over exaggerating?  Who knows.  But I guess in the end I know I had that feeling for a reason.

Like I said before the first full day was fabulous.  We had all sorts of company, our kids were all up in the hospital with us meeting their new brother, our family, our friends, etc.  We were exhausted, but so very happy. 

The second day was perfect too!  It wasn't until about 9pm when Keean had projectile vomit all over one of my friends that made me question if something was going on. 

Of course I told the nurse about it and they blamed it on all sorts of things.  It's "normal" for babies to puke after birth.  I agreed.  Yes, it is normal for them to spit up, but not necessarily projectile vomit.  I don't recall anyone telling me this was "normal", but I let it go.  I didn't bring it up at the hospital again, but it was always on my mind.

The next day we were discharged to home.  I was so excited to have our family together.  Things went fairly well with him, but he slept a lot and didn't like to eat much.  I remember wondering if something was wrong with his hearing or something.  I didn't remember my first born sleeping so much, but it had been 11 years.  What did I know? 

We took Keean in for his check up 2 days after being discharged.  He was 6lbs 12oz at birth, 6lbs 10 oz at discharge and at his 2 day check up was 6lbs 8oz.  No one seemed worried.  They sent us home and told us to come back in a few days just to check his weight.  So, that's what we did. 

6lbs. 8oz again 2 days later.  He hadn't lost any more, but he hadn't gained either.  Keean still wasnt' eating well.  He was starting to cry when he stooled and was puking a lot more when he ate.  We spent the next 3 weeks going in for weight checks.  All of which practically NOTHING happened.  I had people who had babies after me that were thriving and getting chunky pretty fast.  This made me worry.  Why is he puking? Why does he scream when he goes to the bathroom and why won't he gain weight?  We were up continuously.  Making sure he ate enough, making sure after he ate we didn't lay him flat.  We had to hold him just right so he didn't throw up everything we had just gotten down him. 

I was done with our family practice doctor.  Not because I didn't love her, because we did.  BUT because we needed to figure out what was going on with our baby.  He was starting to look malnourished and no one in our house was getting any sleep at all.

3 comments:

  1. Very scary to have this happen and the doctors tell you there is nothing wrong.

    My nephew and niece had a bay about a year ago, it was their 2nd one as well. During the pregnancy, the doctors assume he got some of the amniotic fluid in has lungs. The doctors did not tell them there was nothing wrong because with the projectile vomiting, crying and not wanting to eat. Because they thought there was an issue during the pregnancy they were a little more prepared and worked to figure out what was wrong with him. They kept him in the hospital for almost a week so they could determine what was needed so Jack would be able to eat and sleep comfortably. This was very scary for our family but unlike you we were not told that everything was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a reason to worry because doctors sometimes they address the problem when it is too late. I was once in your situation, when my wife delivered doctor rushed the baby for operation, something he never mention to my wife for the 9 month pregnancy. Intestinal operation was performed, but we asked why this thing was never disclosed to us earlier.I feel the pain in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parents need to be a voice for their children. No one else will stand up for these precious babies. You did the right thing taking things into your own hands by deciding to change doctors.
    When my brother was a baby he wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night to eat. Doctors said it was not too big of a deal and that my parents should be happy to have a baby sleeping through the night so early. My mom didn't like the idea of him not eating and went for a second opinion. That doctor informed her to set alarms and wake him up to eat.

    ReplyDelete